The New Covenant – When Does It Get Established?
The definition of the New Covenant from Wikipedia:
“The phrase “a new covenant” is used in the Bible (both in the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament) to refer to an epochal relationship of restoration and peace following a period of trial and judgment. It is often thought of as an eschatological messianic age or world to come, and is related to the biblical concept of the kingdom of God.”
According to Hebrews 8:13 (below), The New Covenant will at some point replace the Mosaic Covenant and dissolve the Torah (Law / Commandments) that are contained therein. Most of our churches today teach that the New Covenant went into effect at the cross. Some go as far to say the Church Age, derived from Dispensationalism Theology is the establishment of God’s Kingdom here on earth. Instead of taking the time here to discuss the issues related to Dispensationalism, please review this teaching by 119 Ministries.
Let’s examine the scriptural evidence on the New Covenant establishment and study the findings together.
This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
~ (Matthew 14:24)
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
~ (Hebrews 8:13)
In my discussions with pastors and reading christian theological books, these are the two verses most often used to establish the basis of the New Covenant now being in effect. However, we should ask ourselves:
Are there other prerequisites established in scripture that we need to consider in addition to the first coming of our Messiah?
The author of Hebrews (assumed to be Paul), was in chapter 8 quoting much of what was written by the prophets in Jeremiah 31 and Ezekiel 37. (PLEASE READ all three of these chapters in their context for a clearer understanding.) While there are many prophetic aspects to these verses about the rejoining of Ephraim and Judah back together as the one set-apart nation, these verses are quick to make the point within context of reading the complete chapters.
“And they shall by no means teach each one his neighbour, and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know יהוה,’ because they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them.
~ (Hebrews 8:11)
“And no longer shall they teach, each one his neighbour, and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know יהוה,’ for they shall all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares יהוה. “For I shall forgive their crookedness, and remember their sin no more.” ~ (Jeremiah 31:34)
So, according to Jeremiah and Paul, one of the prerequisites to the establishment of the New Covenant is that we will no longer preach the gospel to the nations. Why? – Because “they shall all know me”. This doesn’t happen until after Yeshua’s (Jesus) second coming and the elect are gathered together in the New Jerusalem for the millennial reign.
From this prerequisite alone we can conclude the New Covenant isn’t established yet. Therefore, the Law of Moses and the Mosaic Covenant have not “vanished away”.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
~ (Matthew 5:18)
Here we can make the observation that the Mosaic Law will actually not disappear until after “heaven and earth pass”. Which, does not happen until sometime after the millennial reign is concluded with the final battle with Satan and the resurrection and judgement of the unjust occurs.
So, it’s not that the Torah (Commandments) will be removed during the millennial reign and at the establishment of the New Covenant, but rather it’s method of existence will change.
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
~ (Jeremiah 31:33)
Instead of having the written Torah, it will now be written in our hearts. This is the restoration of all things, where it will be like it was in the Garden of Eden before sin and death entered the world through Adam and Eve.
And so it has been written, “The first man Aḏam became a living being,” the last Aḏam a life-giving Spirit. (46) The spiritual, however, was not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. (47) The first man was of the earth, earthy; the second Man is the Master from heaven.
~ (1 Corinthians 15:45-47)
If the first man was Adam, and the second Adam perfected was the Messiah Yeshua, then who do you think the second Eve is? IT’S US!!! The purified and spotless bride. (Ezekiel 37:16-22).
The New Covenant is the renewed marriage covenant; restoring the divorced house of Israel (Jeremiah 3:8) with Judah. It was at Yeshua’s first coming that he purchased us with His blood (the dowry payment) at Passover. When He ascended at Pentecost, we were given the Holy Spirt (engagement ring) as a seal of our betrothal to Him. He has now gone to prepare a place for us and when He returns, the marriage will be consummated and the celebration of the wedding feast (Feast of Tabernacles) will take place. – What a glorious day we have to look forward to!
More Scriptural References
There is additional evidence to support the establishment timing of the New Covenant. Please consider the following notes and points of interest that are referenced in the verses provided to conduct your own inductive study.
1) w/ Israel and Judah
2) put My Torah within them & write it on their hearts
3) I will be their God, they will be my people
4) I will forgive them and remember their sins no more
5) not teach brother b/c all will know Adonai
(Jer 32:37-42- reiterated)
A curse on anyone who doesn’t pay attention to the words of this covenant,…(Mosaic)
1) carry out My orders
2) then you will be My people
3) and I will be your God
4) so I can fulfill the oath (covenant)
5) give them the land
1) raise a righteous Branch for David (Yeshua)
2) He will reign as king (not happened yet)
3) Judah will be saved
4) Israel will live in safety
5) a name given to Him will be Adonai our righteousness
6) brought out from the countries where we are
1) give them unity of heart
2) put a new spirit among you
3) remove hearts of stone for hearts of flesh
4) will live by my regulations, obey my rulings & act on them
5) will be my people & I their God
1) raise up one shepherd (Yeshua) over them
2) Adonai will be their God
3) make a covenant of peace w/them
4) rid the land of wild animals
5) live securely in desert & forests
6) not be afraid
7) rescue from slavery
1) take you from among the nations
2) return you to your own soil
3) cleanse you from uncleaness
4) give you a new heart, exchange heart of stone for heart of flesh
5) put a new spirit inside you, My Spirit
6) cause you to live by My laws, and obey them
7) live in land of your ancestors
8) you will be My people & I your God
1) remove from nations & put in own land
2) one nation in land , no longer 2 kingdoms
3) never again be defiled, cleanse them
4) be My people & I their God
5) My servant David (Yeshua) will be king over them
6) will live by My rulings, keep & observe My regulations
7) make an everlasting covenant of peace w/them
8) set My sanctuary among them forever
1) wolf will live w/lamb
2) leopard w/ kid
3) infant play w/ cobra & etc.
4) earth will be full of the knowledge of Adonai
1) Bring out of the desert
2) you will call Me My Husband
3) make covenant for them w/ wild animals
4) no war
5) lie down securely
6) betroth you to Me forever…
7) you are My people
8) they will say you are my God
(read context Ch16) – I will remember covenant I made w/ you as a girl & will establish an everlasting covenant w/you.
He came to His homeland/ own people (Judah/Israel) did not recognize Him (Yeshua)
Jerusalem did not recognize who Yeshua was…
1) Secret plan made known to us, He designed beforehand.
2) Will be effective when time is ripe (harvest).
3) Everything in heaven & earth under Messiah’s headship.
We proclaim Him, we teach everyone in all wisdom. (all do not know Him)
Yeshua is at the right hand of God pleading on our behalf. (present tense)
I am going to prepare a place for you. (not done yet)
The covenant He (Yeshua) mediates is better. (present tense)
He is mediator of a new covenant. (present tense)
…to the mediator of a new covenant,Yeshua; … (present tense)
Hebrews 8:13 & 10:1-2 & 8
1) When the new covenant goes into effect in the eternal kingdom, the old covenant (shadow) will be gone. We won’t have to try to follow Torah because it (the original) will be written on our hearts (of flesh).
2) v.8…He takes away the first system in order to set up the second.(Rev 21:4)
1) He (Yeshua) appeared once in order to do away with sin through the sacrifice of Himself.
2) Will appear a second time, to deliver those who eagerly await Him. (judgement)
… to wait until His enemies be made a footstool for His feet. (waiting)
I create new heavens & earth past things will not be remembered
After the 6th seal is opened, Adonai will rule on Mt Zion in Jerusalem. (not happened yet)
1) New heaven & earth
2) New Jerusalem
3) He (God) will live w/them
4) They will be His people
5) Wipe away every tear
6) No more death
7) No more mourning
8) No crying or pain
9) Old order has passed away. (Heb 8:8)