Yom Kippur Self Examination: 10 Days of Awe Series – Day Six
You do not murder. ~ Exodus 20:13
1. Have I murdered another person, or contributed to the death of another person, willfully or accidentally?
2. Have I had an abortion or given support or encouragement to someone else to have one?
3. Have I wanted another person to die?
4. Have I wanted any type of harm to come to another person or group of people?
5. Have I tried to kill myself or thought seriously about doing it?
6. Have I caused injury to another person?
7. Have I caused injury to myself though smoking, overindulgence, drinking too much alcohol, taking drugs or too much medicine or through evil and intemperate living?
8. Have I given in to anger? Allowed it to get out of control? Been quick to anger or offense?
9. Have I cursed anyone or hurt anyone with unduly harsh words?
10. Have I been cruel to anyone?
11. Have I ignored someone who needed help or failed to defend someone who was being treated unjustly or cruelly?
12. Have I failed to respond to those who are in need: to the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the imprisoned, the homeless, the ill, the troubled, the afflicted, the depressed or those with other needs that I could help?
13. Have I harmed someone spiritually by leading him/her into temptation to commit spiritual death through heresy, schism, witchcraft, paganism or by some other sin?
14. Have I shown malice or hatred toward another person?
15.Have I failed to forgive anyone or harbored evil thoughts against anyone?
16. Have I sought to “murder” someone’s reputation? Have I done so for reasons of hate, malice, jealousy, envy, punishment, ego, revenge?
17. Have I mistreated animals or destroyed or harmed any living creature unnecessarily with evil intentions?
18. Have I engaged in and encouraged, promoted acts of violence?
19. Have I not adequately discouraged others, particularly children from acts of violence, malice and hatred?
20. Have I not sought peace with others or between others?
21. Have I not sought to and been a part of reconciliation between people and situations in which YHVH would use me?
22. Have I “murdered” someone with my tongue – with sarcasm, discouraging words, unjustified and harsh criticism, harsh judgment with wrong motives, created disharmony, division, lies, etc.?
23. Have I failed to voice my concerns about the “murderous” activities and words of others as YHVH convicts me, even though others seem ok with it – such as abortion, euthanasia, immorality etc.?
24. Have I been thoughtless for and about the lives of others?